Saturday, July 12, 2008

TAKE LUCK! and the serving community






If you count my High School years as a carhop at Darryl's RootBeer Stand (best chili fries in the world)

I've been making my livelyhood serving for 13 years now. Although I love the company I work for (they have great insurance, it's easy money and they really take care of their employees), I don't always love my guests that frequent the restaurant. I should rephrase that; the guests are fine, it's their lack of knowledge and/or consideration when it comes to tipping.


15%= Good Service
20%= Great Service
25% += Awesome Service
10% - = You're Cheap! or there was a problem, tell a manager so the restaurant can fix it.

I take great pride in my job and can count how many times I've given bad service. I will admit I'm not perfect, contrary to what you may have heard, I have forgotten someone's extra lemons,

or have had one too many tables and just couldn't physically take care of everyone's needs as promptly as I would have liked to. But without bragging too much, I am an AWESOME server; genuinely friendly and effecient. So, when I get a bad tip, I take it personally. I know it's a flaw of the job and it's my choice to work in a profession that relies on others to pay my bills. But every so often I just wish people would see me as a person too, a person who has bills to take care, children to feed and shoes to buy.

At Mimi's if you were to question a guest on a tip, it would mean an automatic fire, so to insure my job and still stick it to the man, I have stolen a catch phrase from the comedian Brian Regan, who does a sketch about starting to say "TAKE CARE." and in the middle switching it to "GOOD LUCK." So it comes out: "TAKE LUCK."
When I have a table that is either rude, or a bad tipper I send them off with this little farewell "TAKE LUCK." when in reality I'm saying "SUCK IT!"

The guest looks at me weird while I inwardly enjoy their confusion. It allows me to blow off steam instead of serving "Sneezers" (Don't mess with people who bring you food.)

In conclusion I secretly hope this catches on to servers across the nation. So, don't be surprised to hear your server bid you adu with a "YOU TAKE LUCK NOW FOLKS." or just be nice people who tip accordingly and treat your server like a human being instead of a servant. Okay, I'm finished venting.

6 comments:

Castle Family said...

That's so funny that you say that :) I served for like 9 years, so I totally know how you feel. I will never forget a table of *ahem* Native Americans I had one night and I rounded down their bill for change and then they stiffed me, so basically I PAID to serve them. Feelin' ya, girl!!

Anonymous said...

Since I used to serve too (like 3+ years, getting through college, for those who didn't know that) I still remember those days. I mostly enjoyed the atmosphere and freedom serving tables gave you, but then there's those tables you could've just key their cars for being such jerks. The Waiting reference is awesome b/c it was so true, so often. Also, in an effort not to knock anyone else, I'll state it this way: Getting good tips from "those that usually leave crap" was SOOO unexpected! -It was the best...b/c most of the time they were few and very far between.

james n mary said...

awww Leah! now i'm totally embarrased because my mom is a horrible tipper. :( it must be her still trying to get the american culture because she tips the same way when we go back home!

it was fun sitting next to you in church today! the nursery needs to let you out more often :)

Brandt Family said...

I love Brain Reagon. He rocks. So, right back at with you with "You too". Ha Ha!

sweetieabbott said...

I also know how you feel, being a hairstylist their are many people who don't even realize that you should tip after a service the same way you should tip a waiter. Or they just give you a lousy tip after spending hours on them. It is very frustrating.

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for servers. They put up with a lot of junk that no person should need to deal with.

Unforutunately my biological father is a really bad tipper. He actually uses his calculator watch (embarrasing enough) to calculate exactly 15%. I wish someone would tell him where he could stick his calculator watch.