Friday, December 12, 2008

Think Globally, Act Locally

I went to the church cannery for the first time yesterday. I wish I had brought a camera after seeing our lovely ward sisters in their hairnets and oversized yellow gloves.(Not us)
I've been trying to add more service into my life; finding out which charities give the greatest percentage of your donations to the needy, sending money abroad to the organizations I love. Although these were good things, it didn't compare to actually working on my feet for 4 hours doing a welfare assignment. Anyone can write a check... and please continue to do so, but I encourage you to also get out there and work! It wasn't hard work, more tedious than anything really. Just twisting lids onto syrup bottles, as Bonnie said "Elf would have been in heaven." My feet stuck to the floor, my fingers were a little sore, my throat hoarse from trying to talk over the loud machine, but my heart was full and my mind content. It felt good to give service for someone I didn't even know. I am always in awe at how much The Church is able to do with our tithes and offerings. We capped, labeled, and packed over 8,000 bottles. Thank you Bonnie, Kimber, Janese, Debbie and Rachel for coming, it was great to have company. Thanks Amy for watching my kids. Happy Giving this season everyone!

3 comments:

Nikaela said...

Good for you, Leah! You've inspired me!

Summer said...

Wow, 8,000 bottles--that's hard to even comprehend... Good for you! I hope you have a merry Christmas!

james n mary said...

huh, i've never been!!!