We had been saving cans for months; he thought I was using them for an Enrichment project for church, so we had 3 huge garbage sacks of cans. I reserved the church parking lot to do the crushing. Mike has always had a thing about making sure to run over cans in the street... and in High School he even damaged his truck door by hitting a pole while attempting to back over a can he had missed going forward. His family has made fun of him for years.
He really enjoyed racing around the parking lot trying to get every can, even the ones in the gutter and those the wind had blown. Hendrix loved running after the cans he crushed, after the damage had all been done.
He had a great birthday with a new football jersery from the folks, a Mormon Scientist book from me, Indiana Jones playing cards from Hendrix and chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, chocolate ice cream, and chocolate brownies with hot fudge (thanks Bekah, they were totally yummy).
I thought for his birthday I would also share some Green Tips with all of you.
(1) When your light bulbs die out, replace them with high efficiency ones. They cost a little more at first, but they shine brighter, while using less energy. They cost less in the long run, because they last much longer. If every home in America changed just one bulb we could shut down a power plant.
(2) Don't limit yourself to only recycling your aluminum cans! -Anything glass, plastic, tin, or paper, including cardboard can be recycled. You will be suprised how many things can be recycled. Check out this site for your nearest recycling facility.
(3)Listen to Jack Johnson's song about the 3 R's, when he says to Reduce and Reuse, even before you fall back on Recycling! Bring your own bags when you go shopping. Costco sells 6 canvas bags for under $2. Don't use those little plastic bags for your produce, you only use them from the store to your drawer at home. I don't put anything I'm going to wash or peel in a bag. Who needs em?!
(4) Any mommies thinking about going natural? Here's a great site with cloth diapers, I just found out about.
(5) Don't throw away your old CD and DVD's, either donate or recylce them here. They take forever to break down and it's added waste in our already overburdened landfills.
There's many many more, please comment and leave some of your "Living Green Tips." We're always trying to learn more. Find more great ideas HERE.







6 comments:
Hey Leah,
I need your email so I can invite you to my blog. Lori
Great Tips and I am going to make a goal to recycle with consistency. I actually read the links and it made me see the importance so thank you. Happy Bithday Mike sounds like you had a great Birthday, and it is one you won't forget and that is awesome. "It" was fun hanging out. (And you were alot of fun too!) Just know he did laugh but he laughed even more when you corrected yourself. I can't wait to see what turns up with the tickets. I was reading up on Joshua and his story and I am glad that he won. He came from having nothing but feeling like he had everything. He deserved it. :)
P.S. I really want to start scrapbooking, I am not sure where to start. Have any ideas or tips?
One I recently learned about is putting oil down the drain. I have always known it is not a good thing, but I didn't think a little bit of left over oil from cooking tostadas could be that bad. I read an article about the effects of a tiny bit of oil getting into our water system, and I was blown away. I wish I could remember what the publication was, but I know it was legit (I was doing research for a cub scout pack meeting :)). Anyway, thanks for the tips! I hadn't thought about the produce bags.
I LOVE this post. I am a bit of a tree huger myself :) I love the Jack Johnson song 3 R's I think every kid should listen to it. What a cute creative idea for his birthday though. You're such a sweet wifey!
I get so frustrated that people don't recycle. We went to Chick Fillet the other day and I actually took home bags of all the trash from our lunch....it was all recyclable and yet they have no recycling bin. I think I need to start writing letters to companies. It is ridiculous. (sorry I am ranting.....)
That is one thing that I love about living on a military base. Everyone is reqired to recycle. If you don't you'll have to find another house off base. Some people think it is a hassle but I think that it is wonderful!
dude, you serious about the cans???!!! that's HILARIOUS! i LOVE it.
Post a Comment