It's 2:30 in the morning, I'm of course up late again, and I was just told by my 2 and a half year old that I'm being too loud, it's actually the 'Real housewives of New York City' with all their bickering that are being too loud, so I've decided to stop watching rubbish and write a post.
I was wondering when the day would come when my children would start embrassing me in public by what they said, last night it happened twice. We're at the grocery store, it's a good trip, we got the coveted 'car cart' and Hendrix is cruisin' man. A large bald man with lots of tattoos and his wife are shopping next to us and Hendrix begins saying "Bad Man", repeatedly I might add. I chose to ingore it, but this man's wife, points out to her husband what Hendrix has now labeled him. They laughed it off, but of course I was too morified to say anything, instead I redirect Hendrix's attention to the Sesame Street characters on the woman's shirt, which now that I think back was actually a vulgar joke about our beloved Big Bird.
The second time was in the parking lot, as we loaded our bags and baby in the car, Hendrix pointed to the clerk collecting carts, and began calling him "Grampa". Although this man was older, gray hair and glasses, he looked nothing like Hendrix's Grandpa. Again, I ignored him, hoping others would think they heard him wrong. Two year old language is often misunderstood you know.
What do you do though when your children make inappropriate comments?
I don't want people thinking I'm raising a age-ist, or a balding, tattoo-flaunting hater! -HELP!!!
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







10 comments:
"Out of the mouth of babes" - There's a reason why that quote exists:) Oh if I had a dollar for everytime my kids have said something that made me want to crawl in a hole and never come out...Needless to say, I have no recommendations on how to stop what's coming out of their little mouths. I'm just here to say that I feel your pain :)
Remind me to tell you about the story of Dave's sister Kristen when they were young. Too funny...and it will definitely make you feel less bad about the "Bad Man" and "Grandpa" comments. Let's just say, she said a very nice family was a type of animal. Very loudly. And very clearly.
This post is right up my alley!!! Seriously, I can totally relate. To be honest, I just laugh it off - it's really all you can do. Megan says the craziest things. The other day she saw an old lady and asked me why her skin looked that way loud enough for her to hear. Also, when we were checking out at Lowes she asked the cashier if she wears underwear. Then continues saying cause I don't I wear diapers. This is one she continues to ask to family, friends, strangers, etc. I first apologize in her behalf and then smile/laugh. This helps to clear the air, but most people are very understanding and thinks it's quite cute. I write all these funny things down in a journal. I want to be able to refer back to them, it's a great laugh. Kids are so innocent!
Leah I came across your blog, how fun! Your kids are so cute. I love to come across people I havn't seen for a while. I'll be checking back to see what you're up to.
Leah I am hopefully back among the living we have been so bogged down with stuff and the life that goes along with stuff that I havent had a chance to call you. So, I wanted to get off a comment to you. Sometimes are the non-verbalized comments children make. Like for instance, the sweet african-american deacon in our ward. He seems so nice and shy ok and timid and as I have ryleigh outside for a time out he comes and sits down next to us. She of course starts staring...mostly just watching him, so I ask her to turn around and be reverent. Then I focus and listne on the speaker. I could see the kid squirming a little so I look over and my child is just about to touch the large mole/skin tag that is on the tip of his nose. I hadn't even noticed but she sure did. WHat do you say to a child and to the one who has just been offended. SO I just said she must really like you! AGGGHHH! Was that even good enough to say. Brother! Kids!
Leah, bless your heart...it is only the beginning of being embarrassed by your kids. When Keralyn (Alan's sister) was little, we were in a grocery store and she asked a plus sized lady if she had a baby in her tummy....the nice lady said "No" to which Keralyn added "Then why is your tummy so fat?" I was mortified. Luckily I thought quickly and said to the lady.."Her mother is picking her up soon, I'll tell her to teach her child better manners" haha....got outa that one!
Peggy (Alan Bird's mom)
Funny stuff! Miss you guys...
-Nicolle
So I think that my question is how are you awake at 2:30 in the morning.I also have to say that I have seen the real desperate housewives and it is almost scary addicting.
Hey Leah, I just wanted to say that I hope you're having a better day today!
That is so funny! Dani is the queen of calling people grandma or grandpa. Everyone in their 40 and older is grandpa or grandma. It is really embarrasing! I'm sure that it will only get worse. The joys of being a parent!
Post a Comment