Monday, March 10, 2008

Give Big or Go Home

Who's seen Oprah's new show, the Big Give? I love it. It's inspiring and so needed with all the other reality T.V. we're bombarded with, it's great to see a reality show about helping others. It's amazing race meets relief society. If you haven't seen it, DO! It's on Sunday nights on ABC, check your local listings.

We had a visiting teaching conference yesterday and our Relief Society President talked about how inspired the Lord was to know how much we needed visiting teaching nowadays. Here is a time where we are so busy with over scheduling ourselves and our children, we are completely involved in everything, yet can feel completely isolated. She talked about growing up in a community where neighbors shared a yard and the women got together to sew and cook. Nowadays most of us don't even know our neighbors. We live in condos and besides the people I know from church I know 6 of neighbors on a first name basis and 4 of them I share at least one wall with. Now that's sad, we've lived here 5 years and have yet to go to one HOA meeting. My thoughts: "We won't be here long, so why get invested" At the very least we should get invested in each others lives.

I love my blogging community and hope we are all out their in our own communities sharing the love, getting to know one another on a personal level and Giving Big.
Happy Service everyone.

2 comments:

The Welker Family said...

I think that we all have the same guilty feelings. I guess that it's good to feel like that because no matter how good we are, we can always try to do better. I don't know any of my neighbors if that makes you feel better :)

Anonymous said...

Leah, I went to an HOA meeting back when we moved in! -It's just been one, but atleast we're on the books! Oh, and she is serious about Oprah & the Big Give. She DVRs it & watches it, cries, then watches them again to cry again! -Good times though.