I was watching The View this morning and heard that Mitt Romney is going to explain his religion. A newscaster was on saying that he has interviewed Mitt in the past and has asked him, "How do you explain your religion?' Mitt: "I don't" So... why now? I'm sure it's because he's behind in the poles right now. Obviously I wasn't there, but I know when John Kennedy was running for President it was an issue that he was Catholic. President Kennedy said that because church and state is seperate, his religious beliefs would not govern his way to the run the country.
So...
Do you think our religious beliefs affect how we act, judge and live our life? Can the President leave his beliefs on the doorstep of the White House?
Do you think Mitt should have to explain his religion?
Do you think it matters that the President of the United States believe in God? Does it need to be the same God as you?
Would you want to be the President's Home Teacher or his wives Visiting Teacher? Can you imagine trying to set up an appointment or drop off cookies?
My thoughts: At first I was offended that Mitt Romney would have to explain his religion, the American public could care less if he were Baptist, but then after hearing the women on The View frequently refer to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints as Mormonism, calling The Book of Mormon 'our bible' and making the statement, "Mormons didn't allow blacks into the organization until 1970". I realized the American public is clueless on what 'The Mormons" really believe. I'm not sure how Romney will 'sum' up our religion, but I do hope it will bring more knowledge to the voters about the church. Then maybe I wouldn't have someone at work ask me if it bothers me that my husband has other wives. True story, I knew this girl about a week, when she found out I was Mormon and asked me about the 'other wives' I live with. I asked her: "My husband has other wives? Do you know them or something, because I've yet to meet them."
Those our my thoughts? What's yours?
Monday, December 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
Oh Geez! It is scary how clueless people really are about it. From the interviews I have heard thus far, I have been very impressed with Mitt's ability to speak. I think he will do a good job "explaining Mormonism". I think it is a necessity if he wants to win. It is irritating though that nobody is asking Hillary to explain being a Lesbian!! ha ha!
I, too, was offended at first. However, now I think it might be a great opportunity to clear up some major misconceptions (like you mentioned about the wifes). Although, it's been my experience that no matter how many times you tell a person something, they're going to have their own ideas and not be open at all. I think people are just fishing for something to pick on him for, which is sad.
Even sadder is the fact that Mike Huckabee, a fellow republican candidate, is a baptist preacher who is running as the "non-mormon" in Iowa right now. I'm sure it's going to get really ugly.
I think if Romney is careful he can do a great deal of positivity for what American's think about the LDS church. He doesn't have a shot at winning the election, there is still too much baggage. But he can certainly open the door for future LDS political candidates.
oh that girl did NOT ask you that!!!! Holy ignorance! That show, Big Love on HBO is really popular and it's about a Mormon man who has 3 wives all living under the same roof so that may be why she was so clueless...media, the root of all evil.
I agree with Emily in that if Mitt wants to win, he MUST express his love of the church and explanation of the basics so people will stop persecuting him for being Mormon. And Emily's comment about HIllary being a lesbo is really funny.
Oh and I AM going to be able to make it to the Christmas party afterall! I'm so excited! Yayers!
Oh and no one's making a big deal about Huckabee's past stance on separating all people with AIDS from healthy people to avoid spreading it (terrible idea and so wrong) yet they all care so much that Mitt is LDS.
Post a Comment