My friend Burgess' blog inspired me to write some of my thoughts about Motherhood. There's not much I regret in my life, mostly because any decisions I've made in the past, good or bad have brought me where I am in my life now. And although things aren't perfect I am married to a man I'm madly in love with, and due to his incredible cuteness I have two gorgeous children. I do however regret a moment in my life when I was a teenager. I told my mom that I never wanted to become like her, that I was afraid I wouldn't go on to be a famous rockstar and I would be stuck at home with children doing the "mormon mom thing". The funny thing is I don't remember her looking upset, maybe a little disappointed, but mostly the face I remember her giving was one of knowledge, a smile of wisdom. She knew what I didn't know then that I know now. And that was...Being a mom is the most rewarding, difficult, fulfilling, enjoyable, peaceful, challenging, closest to our Heavenly Father I ever felt responsiblity. Growing up I believed society, that you had to have a degree to be thought of as smart, you had to have a career to be viewed as valuable, and you had to make your own money, have your own free time and be completely independant to be "somebody".
My definition of "The Mormon Mom" has changed from uneducated baby maker to a Divine calling from God himself. A crucial parent that will raise our future leaders. A loving, nuturing, essential character in our children's lives. -That how I raise them determines how they will raise their own family and generations to come. I feel honored to have a son who will one day serve a mission and bring the light of Christ to others. I am blessed to have a daughter who will have a family of her own. And in the words of President Hinckley "When you save a girl, you save a generation." I am so very thankful to my own Mother, and the example she set of loyalty to her family, love for the Church and respect for herself have taught me many lessons.
Some days are like this...
Us on Thanksgiving - trying to get a family photo - trying is the key word here.
You can't pay someone to do what a mother will do for free.
So, to all my Mommy friends out there - YOU ARE AWESOME - keep the faith.

And Other days are like this...







6 comments:
Leah! You are amazing! 2 kids is a lot of work! You can do it for sure. I remember how you juggled Beehives and organized YW's so well so 2 kids - piece of cake! COngratulations! Your daughter is so beautiful. I love that quilt. Those fabrics are so fun. I hope you are hanging in there. I wish I was still your neighbor so I could bring you over some warm soup and company. Jack and Hendrix would be best buddies!
Take Care,
xoxox
Melissa and Jack
You said everything I meant to say, just better! I do love being a mommy. Someday when we get rich, I'll hire a maid. Until then, all we can do is try, try, and try again.
Mommies work so hard, and we get little rewards here and there, but like you said, the real reward is seeing my baby grow up and go on a mission and changing people's lives for the better, and marrying someone who he respects and who respects him and raising a sweet little family himself.
Thanks for the post! It always makes me feel better that people who I think have it all together sometimes have struggles, too!
Thanks so much for the Birthday wishes! You're the best! Love you guys!
Okay...you just can't do that to a pregnant woman. I totally started getting tears in my eyes reading your blog! I feel the same way so many times every day, wondering what on earth I have actually accomplished when I go to bed at night! It helps to keep the big picture in mind. Thanks for reminding me... :)
And don't forget to send out an e-mail about the movie! We have to do it...but maybe on a weeknight? Weekends in December get jammed up pretty fast. Anyhow..let me know. Thanks!
Leah, hey, i saw yoru post on Burgess's blog and had to hear yoru thoughts on motherhood...then I realized...I KNOW YOU! I don't know if you remember me from Joseph City, I was the weird girl a year or two older than you, yes sad, I know. Anyway, your kids are beautiful! I love your little girl, and she has a great name even though I can't remember all of it right now. Anyway, i'm right there with you on loving being a mom more than anything, and also feeling sooo worn out by it!
Loved this post, Leah!
-Nicolle
Post a Comment