I was supposed to be on a flight to Spokane, WA right now to see my mom and take a week long road trip visiting different museums for a class my mom is taking, instead I'm here venting on blog spot about my missed flight. We had timed it perfectly to arrive about one hour before the flight was scheduled to leave, half way to the airport I realize I forgot Hendrix's shot records, I don't know if they need those to verify age or what, but we drove home to get them and by the time we arrive at the airport I'm only 20 minutes before take off. I unload and get in line on curb side check-in. A huge sign is posted to let travelers know bags on curb side are $2 a piece, not including gratuity. First thing I'm a little upset about, I'm flying US Airways, but Southwest, who I usually fly checks bags curbside for free and then I always tip the guy who helps me out. Anyways, the baggage guy comes over and feels the need to tell me their $2 a bag policy "And that doesn't include a tip for me, $2 a bag (he says it again) and doesn't include gratuity".Okay, I got it dude, are you hard up for cash? Do I look like a bad tipper? Is it because I'm young? Let's just hurry here. He types in his computer and informs me I'm not getting on this flight. I ask if it's boarding, Can I run? What can I do to get on this flight? 'Nothing' he says, you should have been here 45 minutes ago. I tell him about having to go back to get the shot records, he says they're only concerned about those if you're flying internationally.
REALLY(?!), BECAUSE, every flight I've been on in the last two years requires me to have a birth certificate or shot records. The lame part was that this guy, Baggage Mike was not trying to help me out, he just hands me back my ID and now I'm pissed. I start packing up my bags and let him know what I think of him, including how he was neither helpful nor considerate and I thought he had little tact begging for gratuity from me. By this time I'm causing a scene and his supervisor tells Baggage Mike to 'Get control of the situation'.
Oh, NOW Baggage Mike wants to help me find another flight, why didn't he offer that before? The supervisor was very nice and calm, which apparently I needed because I was a ragin' pregnant chick with a sick baby (did I mention Hendrix had woken up that morning with a fever)

So, I'm crying, Hendrix is now crying because he sees me upset and My Mike is trying to work with baggage Mike to find me another flight, which doesn't leave for another 9 hours.
So, I'm on the next flight to Washington, they didn't even charge me to switch flights, and they gave me a seat next to an empty one, so I would have more room for Hendrix. Basically the entire thing was my fault, but I blamed some baggage guy who didn't deserve it, although it's still rude to ASK for a tip (three times). I'm entirely embarrassed I allowed myself to act so childish.
My question is; If I had been nice would I have gotten the special treatment? My Mike says I didn't have to be rude, I could have just cried, that would have been enough.
I'm also worried my bags are not going to get to where they're supposed to, did Baggage Mike send them to

End result I tipped Baggage Mike very well even though a part of me didn't want to, but the customer service part of me wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing although he wasn't the nicest guy in the world, he wasn't a jerk and he still has a family to feed. (My Mike and Baggage Mike discussed their wives pregnancy hormones getting the best of them.) And I'm really looking forward to having a nap this afternoon and having more room on the plane with Hendrix.
Thanks, My Mike for helping him calm down afterwards, setting me up for my later flight and dealing with the bad guys. You're a sweetie.

I'll thank baggage Mike when my bags show up in







6 comments:
Ok well, how could I not post a comment to this. First off I bet it felt really great to vent, second it totally made me laugh my head off and breath a hug sigh of relief that I am not the only crabby and "right" (at the time) pregnant girl. Thanks for making my day. I am glad you made it to washington...well I hope you made it to washington. Ok anyway, great post! It has inspired me to vent on mine;)
Leah, You are so funny! You are soooooo me! I would have totally done the same thing and Heston would have told me that I should have been nice too. Then I would have felt like a big jerk afterward. I don't think that it is just pregnancy hormones with me though. I think it's more rage when people aren't being helpful. I hope that your flight was good and that you had a fun trip. I'll be excited to see the pictures from your trip.
hey! i was searching someone else and I found you! I love your little wedding pic on the left and Hendrix is So freaking cute. I can totally relate to the airport fiasco -- last time I went to CA we got there way too early, then the plane was delayed and by the time we were boarding Izzy was screaming. Then some stupid lady sat RIGHT next to me so I was wrestling Izzy all the way. Good thing it was only an hour and a half flight! Anyway, it's fun to see your blog!
I read this and thought of how I wish I could have acted like that! I am the person, that says, oh, it's ok....I guess I will go home and see what I can do. You did the right thing...especially seeing as you had Hendrix with you...it is so much harder to fly with a baby!
ahhhhhhhhhhh, what a great yet crazy story. You are a great story teller, by the way. Poor little Hendrix, not feeling well. Well the good part is is that you ARE going to Washington after all. The bad part is that you had Baggage Mike as a baggage guy but you DID do the kind thing and tip him well. Have fun and be safe you cute pregger lady. By the way, it was way fun to see you and the family yesterday.
I just realized that you wrote this blog entry on AUGUST 6TH!!!! I'm reading it like you are leaving today....WELL, I hope you had fun!
Post a Comment