Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mountain Memories...

The kids and I spent two weeks in WA with my family, my Mom, Grandma and Aunt all live on a beautiful mountain, which is referred to as just that "The Mountain" There is always family, friends and neighbors around so there is no lack of company. Infact they leave their doors unlocked so even if no one's home, it's not uncommon to borrow a couple eggs, a jar of homemade pickles or use their basement to workout in (all things I did while there) It's also common to leave your keys in the car incase someone is in need of your extra car. (just bring it back with gas in it) I love that everyone up there treats one another as family if they are or not.

This is my Grandma's yard which is where we spent most of our time. We had a portable pool and slip and slide that my kids promptly took off all their clothes and ran free and naked in the cool weather. I think they were just excited to be outside. When I lived here as a child this area was all dirt, but we had just as much fun running and chasing one another. As a teenager this house was my home away from home over the summers. I was deeply in love with Washington and it was wonderful to make new memories with my kids.

This is one of my favorite areas, the path leading away from my G-ma's house to the mom's.

The Clayton Burger where Uncle Adam took us out for homemade huckleberry ice cream - Yum! It was a soft pink color and delicious. As a youth my cousin Josh and I would ride horses down the railroad tracks and meet friends here.

The kids were excited to meet new cousins and had so much fun. Lemonie was a joy. So sweet with her chubby cheeks. She's smiles and lights up everything. MilaBelle loved having a baby around. And it was the first time all my mom's grandkids were together.


This is my cousin Josh's little girl Carly. Mila and her are only 3 months apart and our oldest boys are just 1 month apart. Hendrix had tons of fun playing in the dirt with Jakob.

The only negative for little ones, were having legs that ran faster than their bodies. We had mulitple days of scratched knees and our share of brusies.


In MilaBelle's words her favorite things about Oma's house are
"Dress-up, round toast with cheese, I like Oma."

In Hendrix words "I like marble works, trees, bugs, round toast with butter, not cheese and the sandwhich's Oma makes me."

I can also say that they loved the tire swing and being free to roam. For the first couple of days I was always worried where they were, when finally my mom told me to relax they were either at Aunt's, G-ma's or somewhere in between. I could walk outside and hear their voices and holler for them to come back whenever I needed. And if they were bothering anyone they'd be sent home. It's a wonderful niche my family has created for themselves, away from busy streets, and strangers. I look forward to next summer and staying longer.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Wow...this makes me wish it were my family living there and I could go visit every summer! Beautiful! Glad you had fun away from the heat!

Sarah said...

What a beautiful vacation! It was fun to see Mike at my sister's wedding while you were on your trip. (He came with his dad.) Next time I come we need to do a get together.

Greg and Nicolle said...

Looks/sounds like a little slice of heaven- glad you had a great vacation!