Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Free Rice

I saw this on my friends, Summer's blog and loved this. It's called Free Rice, and its advertising sponsors will donate twenty grains of rice per every English vocabulary, English grammar, foreign (French, German, Italian, or Spanish) language, geography, math, chemistry, or art history question you can answer correctly (you get to choose which subject you'd like to be quizzed on). The site was designed to raise humanitarian awareness while promoting education. Not only do you get to answer fairly easy questions, well at least the grammer ones, you get to see your little rice bowl fill up as you help combat hungry. Hendrix loved helping me with this and seeing our rice piles get higher and higher. You can visit this site as many times as you'd like. Happy Helping everyone.

8 comments:

Summer said...

Hey, I'm glad you're using the Free Rice website! I've been learning a lot from the geography quiz myself (I am so terrible at geography--I know where nothing is located). I also like the art one because I was totally unfamiliar with paintings but have started learning how to recognize the styles of different artists. I think it's fun, and I'm glad you're spreading the word!

Thank you for the comment you left on my blog. It's nice to have another's perspective on the matter, especially someone like you whose opinions and character I respect a lot. I agree with you that the most important thing we can do to heal the world is to raise tolerant, open-hearted children--a task I'm sure you and Mike will make good on. Your friend's experiences in Africa sound very, very sad. I'd love to meet more people like her who have been involved in African humanitarian work. I too feel overwhelmed and don't know how to help. Anyway, thanks for not being scared off by my at-times-raging social malcontent; I try to keep it under control, but sometimes it gets the better of me!

:)
Summer

P.S. I just finished a book about AIDS and the resulting orphan crisis in Africa, and I think you would really like it. It was one of the best books I've ever read--I literally couldn't put it down, like it was Harry Potter or something. It's called 'There Is No Me Without You' and it was written by Melissa Fay Greene. It's hard to read about all the sadness and loss African kids are enduring, but the book is ultimately very uplifting because you get to follow the journeys of a small handful of orphans as they make their way into adoptive families, and it feels good to finally understand what's going on with AIDS in Africa. Anyway, check it out if you're interested! (There's a website too: thereisnomewithoutyou.com.)

Lanae said...

i love that you did this with hendrix, that is sooo you, and so great. what a fun mom!

sweetieabbott said...

I tried it with Kayla and she had so much fun. It is really easy to lose track of time while answering the questions. Her favorite was the Art section. Thanks for the idea!

Brent and Jenny Colvin said...

Cool website. And by the way I found you off of the Benzon's blog. :)

Brent and Jenny Colvin said...

BTW "There is No Me Without You" IS good. :) One of my friends has adopted 2 children from Ethiopia, and one is HIV positive.

Brent and Jenny Colvin said...

Me again. :)

Brent and I are trying to get people together to go to Robert Valverde's concert Saturday night. Pass the word along...

Don't Forget Saturday night! Heritage Academy, 32 S Center, Mesa AZ 8pm The Alstons, and The Dorsets, with special guests, Danae Nims/Katie Adams, and Sidney and Alex Aiono!!

$5 for adults/$3 for students, under 10 free.

james n mary said...

yay! i love the site!

Gina said...

That is a great site! Thanks for sharing.