We just finished watching SiCKO a documentary by Michael Moore.
Now I know many of you are already groaning and about to browse another blog, but hear me out. I recognize that Michael Moore is very passionate about his ideals, but I like him, and even more I like the two documentaries of his I’ve seen, “Bowling for Columbine” and now ‘SiCKO’, If you haven’t heard about this film it is a look at America’s Healthcare System and compares our system to that of Cuba, Canada and Europe who all have Universal Healthcare; Healthcare for everyone. I have been interested in this subject for months as our President is pushing for Universal Healthcare in America. After watching this film I am also.
The reason I’m writing this blog is twofold, One: I want everyone to watch ‘SiCKO’ and hear the left wing argument, Second: I understand I have received a bias opinion from Mr. Moore, I’d love for someone to tell me where I can hear the right wing side of the story. I want to make fair judgments and be more educated on the subject.
I cannot agree with our idea of health system as it stands; Hospitals refusing care to the sick and dying, pharmacies charging whatever they want for drugs(most of which we don’t need),
medical bills that leave people bankrupt and/or homeless. (The #1 reason this occurs) Last year over ½ of the people who filed bankruptcy did so after a major illness and couldn’t afford the medical bills, 75% of those people had health coverage. 18,000 people died in 2007 because of a lack of healthcare.

I want to live in a country of WE not ME. I want America to be judged by how we treat the least of us. I want more preventative care and fewer drugs. It’s far easier and less expensive to prevent a disease than to cure it. I want America’s healthcare to stop being a business and instead take care of her people.
Last interesting fact: When Dr Jonas Salk discovered the polio vaccine, he was asked why he wasn’t putting a patent on it, to make money, his response: "Can you patent the Sun?
"No, because it (the sun) belongs to everyone, Everyone has the right to be healthy and free from sickness."
Watch the movie, give me your feedback and take your vitamins.







6 comments:
One thing that I have learned working with different people from Canada is though the health care is given to all, many people were on waiting lists for operations and what not for things that were needed IMMEDIATELY. The people I know moved to America to get AWAY from that health care system. They had had too many family members die from being on a waiting list! Now, I only know this from a few peoples opinions but they were enough to sway my vote. I wish there was a happy medium somewhere. Because I don't think it is right that the insurance companies can rule the health world. Just for one thing written on my medical records I was forced to sign a waver saying that if I had any problems due to that part of my body I wouldn't be covered.
I don't think we should have FREE health care but I think it is necessary that our health care becomes affordable and insurance shouldn't be so controlling.
LOL James works in a pharmacy that charges crazy prices. Thing is, it's the drug companies making the money! I like this post; my posts don't provoke thought or show our political views...I'm lame LOL.
I appreciate Michael Moore. I think he looks outside the box and when it's a right wing thing he agrees with, he makes mention that he agrees with it....but that's VERY few and far between. I tend to agree with more of his ideals than disagree with them. I have read some of his books and he says what most people think but don't want to say. I truly like this movie too and Bowling for Columbine. they were informative and gave me a very different viewpoint than what we are bombarded with living in Conservative Arizona. I can appreciate that. Thank you!
Good post. I think you should post stuff like this more often. It makes me think.
I think Moore is smart. Some of his views are skewed in my opinion, but he provokes change. My only complaint is that he is too one-sided. I am old school in thinking that if you have a point to make through argument - you present both sides, proving why one side is right.
I work at a pharmacy. It's a small independent one, so I get to see a lot of the ins and outs that I wouldn't get in a big retail chain. The prices of drugs are insane! Did you know, once a name-brand drug is announced, the company has 14 years, FOURTEEN -by law, to charge high prices (their excuse being they need that time to recoup the money they invested in testing and regulations) before a generic can be produced? That means higher co-pays for insurances and those who are uninsured get the worst of it. That infuriates me on so many levels. And truth be told, the pharmacy doesn't make all that much. The drug companies are evil.
I have also dealt with the military medical system for 6 years. And while I know that isn't truly universal health care, it comes close. And I hated it. Don't get me wrong, there are great Dr's who have treated me very well - but their hands are sometimes tied to the policies dictated by their superiors/system (...like when I knew I was going to have a big baby and the Dr would not induce me even a few days early. Ya, my son was almost 10 pounds. It would have saved them time and money to do it the other way, not to mention my pain and healing, but it was against the rules.)
Also, with a universal system, I am afraid that would stall the creative process - those looking for cures and change, simply because the funding would not be there. Portions of what the drug companies make gets put right back into research (although it may not be for altruistic reasons).
I argue that it doesn't matter what kind of health care system we have, money will always be the bottom line for those who make the rules and regulations. Before insurance, people paid cash. The prices of health care didn't rise until the concept of insurance came about. The health care community started charging more knowing that the out of pocket expense for the patient was much less. Then, by charging more to insurance companies, they were able to recoup the money lost by those patients who could not pay - a vicious cycle. As unrealistic as this may sound, I think we should stop insurance altogether. Again, the bottom line is Dr's and hospitals need to be paid. If everyone couldn't afford their prices, the medical system would go broke. This would cause them all to lower their prices. (I know there are major flaws with that idea...but still - it would change things.) :)
Wow, sorry - I am a little embarrassed - I didn't realize how long that post was.
On a side note - how is the weight watchers thing going? I have been seriously thinking about joining (scared because I have failed at everything else I have tried). Do you do the weekly meeting one or the online one?
I take a drug called Gleevec that prevents my cancer from coming back..It costs over $4000 (yes four thousand) per month. I have excellent insurance that helps with that cost, BUT how can people afford that?? How do you decide between staying alive and paying your bills??? I need to see this movie, I have always enjoyed Michael Moore's movies. I am hopeful for a future where everyone can afford or get healthcare. By the way in 3 years the patent for my drug will run out and I can start buying the generic for $5 (you can buy it in India right now). That is CRAZY!!
Post a Comment