Wednesday, January 16, 2008

SERENITY NOW!!!

I woke up all excited this morning to take Hendrix to the library for storytime. I'm just now feeling like I can handle two kids and get out of the house earlier than noon, so we head out with diaper bag and Batman hat in tow, ready for a fun 'mommy and me' and baby day.


Storytime begins and I'm super excited, there's a photographer from the Arizona Republic there to capture the sweet scene of mommies with their two year olds, and I just know Hendrix is going to be on the front page because he is so darn cute! Little did I know what the next half hour had in store for me. Hendrix thought the chairs in the back of the room were more entertaining to run across than to listen to the nice storybook lady. When I told him he had to stop, he yelled "no". After three attempts of controlling him and one attempted escape; him running out of the room, me running after him...leaving MilaBelle on the floor to catch him, I told him it was time to go. Now the true disaster occurs. He begins screaming at the top of his lungs. I try to hold his hand and escort him out of the library, he goes limp. His arm dangling from my grip, his legs dragging behind him and his head thrown back, inches away from slamming on the ground.


I try to seek refuge in a nearby bathroom, the restroom only magnifies his cries. I have MilaBelle strapped to my chest in a baby sling and now I'm attempting to carry my two year old, while he kicks and pushes against me. He starts hitting MilaBelle, so I have to put him back on the ground to save her from further injury. We're outside now and he's desperately trying to run away. I sit on the ground, my legs wrapped around his body to get a good grip to atleast make it to my car. I've decided I can't care anymore of what on-lookers may be thinking, I have to get this kid to the safety of my car before he hurts himself.


I get him in the car and lock the doors to take a moment to myself before driving home. I realize I've dropped several items at least 10 feet away in the ordeal. As I backtrack my steps, picking up the beloved Batman hat and now dirty blankets, I break down in tears. How is it possible for my perfect child to act so terribly? I'm thinking he must have some chemical imbalance or something. I return to my car with Hendrix still screaming and see a police officer standing there.


I raise my hand in admittance, that 'yes, that is my child, and I didn't leave him stranded, not yet anyway.' My first thought was the cop was going to call CPS on me, but no she was sooo sweet, gave me a hug and told me 'this too shall pass.'


I said a prayer, drove the 11 miles to my mother-in-laws to find sanctuary, while Hendrix hollered the entire way there. I didn't think it was possible to yell and scream for that long.


I write this because Lanae told me other mothers would get a kick out of my ordeal. I hope you do. I hope my child isn't the only one with this "terrible two's" disease. Is there a cure or maybe a really strong drug (for me, not him) to cope with such situtations?

15 comments:

marry said...

That is too funny. As I was reading your post the whole thing came vivid in my mind. I couldn't help buy laugh. Thanks for sharing... it probably makes everyone else feel normal to hear your situation. Mary

Kimberly said...

Soooooo good to see you today. Love your story! I was literally hanging on every word. Yes, other moms go through the same thing. I promise! It's so frustrating. I know! :)

Burgess said...

We're about 2 weeks away from Izzy turning 2 and it's already starting with him. I know how you feel because Izzy has always been SO perfect and such an easy child. I seriously don't know what to do, either. If you find something that works, let me know.

The Taits said...

I'm so sorry...but that is hilarious. It's one of those things that I'm sure you can look back on and laugh, but at the time, it's really not funny at all. I guess I have a brief glimpse of what I am in for...as if I wasn't dreading the balancing act already! LOL You are such a great mommy...hang in there. It can only get better, right?

Gina Lee said...

Okay this is hilarious! I am sure it wasnt at the time...but when in doubt, laugh! Cant you just wait until you have a third child in the mix? Or after this episode, will there even be a third? haha. You handled it as any other person would. And I am sure every person that saw you has had atleast one incident to compare, so no worries, your title of Mother Of The Year has not been compromised.

Gina Lee said...

Oh and I dont think you know...but Kameron's younger sister married Traci (Hancock) Smith's little brother Reed. I saw that you were friends. What a small world!!

Nikaela said...

You're so awesome, Leah! I can't believe you made it to the parking lot before breaking down in tears. Parenting is an adventure... a frightening, hilarious, ecer-surprising adventure.

hollyollie said...

I've been in that situation more than once. You are a great mom. I take my kids to story time too. Which library do you go to?

Juli said...

Leah that story totally brings in memories of McKenna having horrible tantrums and all of the embarrassment that comes with it but I swear kids go through phases. Right now is a good phase but a couple months ago I remember David yelling and laughing at the same time "WE ARE LOSING CONTROL!" Anyways so you aren't the only one!

Courtney said...

I love that story...not because YOU had to go through it, but because I am getting a clue of what it is going to be like. Landon has started the fits and it is no fun...I can't imagine how hard it must be with two! You are a great mom!

Greg and Nicolle said...

Oh no!!! I'm sure next time will be easier. Good luck!

Paul-N-Daneen said...

I don't remember all of Carsons Tantrums but When it happens I just think that every one is looking at me thinking. "What kind of mom is she?" I'm pretty sure it happens to a lot of moms. I totally understand the whole thought of "what happened to my kid just now". Good luck and Great Story.

Castle Family said...

Ok, I'm strange, I guess, I MUST be the only one almost in tears after reading this!! I can just imagine this happening to me and it made me really emotional! I thought this hormone thing was over with! Glad you survived!

Melly Mel said...

Oh Leah! This is so great. I felt like I was there, crying with you! I can only imagine the library, your situation and the blood rushing to your head as you are juggling both kids. You are so strong to attempt the library. I took Jackson to Barnes and Noble the other day to do story time and he wasn't interested in the story; rather he snuck away, dragging his arm against the shelves and then somehow managed to throw away 14 books when I wasn't looking! When I put those 14 books away, he found more interesting ones to throw away. I can't wait until Jack is Hendrix's age. Stay strong Leah. You are my example. I probably will be a single mom for life but just in case I have another, you will remain my example!

Lanae said...

bri and i had another great laugh...the story was even better when you had time to write out all the details. we both agreed you are a pretty talented writer. remind me to tell you the hot dog story if i haven't already! I am learning that most mom's looking at you are empathetic not judgmental...we've all been there or will be! what with we do with all our time if we didn't have kids?